Intersection works on the Reservoir level crossing removal in Melbourne are set to commence next month with a team of roughly 200 workers.
Foundations and columns outside the intersection for the building of a new rail bridge over the crossing are now complete, with the next phase of works set to start from mid-August.
The High Street intersection will be closed to traffic to accommodate the works from August 19 to late December, with workers building two 185 metre-long segments of steel bridge.
“Trains will continue to operate for most of this time, with alternative access routes in place for road traffic and continued changes in place for pedestrians,” the Victorian Government announced.
“We suggest drivers allow up to an additional 15 minutes to travel the east–west detours at peak or busy times of day.”
North-south journeys and non-peak hour journeys are expected to take less additional time.
The next phase of the Reservoir project will include the construction of the base of the elevated platform above Reservoir Station, which is made up of six steel modules of up to 100 tonnes each in addition to 190 concrete planks.
The first sections of the bridge will also be installed, in addition to up to 10 bridge pieces weighing up to 75 tonnes apiece to be lifted into place by a 350-tonne crane.
Glenroy Road’s level crossing is now set for removal, becoming the second crossing to be removed on Melbourne’s Craigieburn line as part of the Victorian Government’s Level Crossings Removal Project (LCRP).
The rail line will be lowered below Glenroy Road to accommodate the removal. The government stated that this method would be the most feasible design option as it avoided significant levels of compulsory property acquisition while also suiting the topography of the area. A new station will also be built as part of the works, which are set to conclude in 2022.
The government stated that Glenroy Road was one of North Melbourne’s most congested roads, with around 19,000 vehicles passing the level crossing each day.
“We are now undertaking further technical investigations. Later this year, we will be back out with more information and locals will have the opportunity to provide feedback on the project,” VicGov said in a statement.
“The boom gates at this level crossing can be down for up to 43 per cent of the morning peak, causing congestion for up to a kilometre along Glenroy Road. Delays will worsen as more trains and cars travel through Glenroy in the future.”
Acting Premier Lisa Neville, acting Minister for Transport Infrastructure Melissa Horne and Member for Pascoe Vale Lizzie Blandthorn convened at Glenroy Station to aonnounce the project
“This dangerous and congested level crossing holds up thousands at Glenroy Road each day – it’s got to go,” Neville said.
“This will make a real difference for people in Glenroy, making it quicker, easier and safer to get around.”
The LCRP has so far removed 29 of a planned 75 dangerous and congested level crossings in Melbourne, with the remainder set for removal by 2025.
The Level Crossing Removal Project in Victoria is inching forward with news that two boom gates have been removed from the Reservoir level crossing in Melbourne.
The Reservoir crossing, which the Victorian Government has called “dangerous and congested” still has four boom gates left to be removed, which will continue to operate normally until their removal is scheduled.
The two gates that were removed — located to the north of the High Street intersection — will make space for the development of piers to support the construction of a raised rail bridge running over the former level crossing.
Building crews have been working on the foundations of the Reservoir rail bridge since the beginning of April, drilling concrete piles up to 28 metres underground to accommodate the new elevated crossing above the line at High Street.
A new station will also be constructed at Reservoir as part of the project, with completion set for 2020. Over 36,000 vehicles a day travel through the crossing, with the boom gates down for an average 24 minutes during a peak two-hour period in the mornings.
The Level Crossing Removal Project is an ongoing state government infrastructure program involving the removal of 75 dangerous level crossings across Melbourne. Earlier this month, the Victorian Government announced eight more level crossings to get the chop on the Upfield and Mernda lines.